Header

Header

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

All is merry and bright

It is as if the little Christmas elf in my brain just woke up, realized he slept in, and pushed the panic button. Over the weekend, I was minding my own business when all of a sudden it struck me to count how many days we have until Christmas. At that moment there were only sixteen. Sixteen days for me to create fabulous traditions that Kade will carry with him into his adulthood and (hopefully) pass on to his children. Sixteen days to bake cookies, sing carols, read Christmas books, go to Christmas church services, throw snow balls, stuff cheerful Christmas cards into the mailbox and dance around the kitchen for the millionth time to Frosty the Snowman (Kade's favorite right now). Now, I realize that Kade is not even two years old and probably won't remember this one, specific Christmas. That being the case, I'm using it as my "practice year." In response to the Panic Button, I braved the crowds and went Christmas shopping. I invited a friend over and made cookies for my neighbors. I went to the library and borrowed every holiday book I could hunt down, Twas' The Night and all. I made a flippin' tree garland out of popcorn.

Now that I'm older, I realize "the reason for the season." Instead of anticipating what presents there are for me, I have scoured the shops for that perfect little something for my loved ones. I find that this time of year is a challenge to do great things for others. Giving an old friend a ride to work, even if it's ten miles out of your way or having a late night phone chat with a long distance friend. Sometimes, the smallest things mean the most.

Last night, in that sweet little niche before bath time but after dinner, I stuck a hat and slippers on Kade and we ventured to the apartment below us, belonging to a wonderful woman named Mama Grace. We tapped on the door, bearing a box of homemade sugar cookies, dripping with vanilla frosting. She invited us in, asked us to take off our coats, expressed how grateful she was to have visitors. I have lived right above Mama Grace for a year now and besides a note on her door asking "please excuse our noise, Kade is teething!" I have had no communication with her. I found myself wondering why as she opened her home to us, offered us drinks and wanted to know all about our Christmas plans. She's the sweetest thing and gushed over our haphazardly decorated cookies, commenting that the little baby fingerprints in the frosting just made them.

In a simple holiday gesture, I found a friend. And baby, that's what it's all about. This time of year is a reminder in searching out the beauty and grace in the simple things in life. Christmas is the one time of year when it seems everyone shares a similiar feeling- a feeling of warmth and togetherness; a reason for long nights spent in front of fireplaces with the ones we love, not caring about what's happening outside of your small circle of hugs and warm gestures.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


I hope Kade holds Christmas as a cherished memory; I know I'll cherish every Christmas I have him here with me, covered in flour and scoping out the presents. 

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
One day, he'll tell funny stories about Mom manically cutting out snowflakes at the kitchen table. 

 ***

And then, of course, there are the moments in between. Like the first big snow fall and long bubble baths with Santa Claus beards.

Photobucket
Photobucket

 Now, on to late night phone conversation with my dearest Kelli and a hot cup of Christmas Tea.


  Photobucket








1 comment:

Your comments keep me going! Thank you for your love and support.